Marlborough Sounds Shared Cruises: (from $160)
The Marlborough Sounds is made up of four distinctively different Sounds – Queen Charlotte, Kenepuru, Pelorus, and Mahau – the winding waterways and sheltered bays and the abundance of marine life and native flora make for great cruising whichever way you choose
- Half day Dolphin watching where there is a 90% chance of seeing the playful Hectors, Bottlenose or Dusky Dolphins and then a walking tour of Motuara Island, a predator free native bird sanctuary.
- Half day cruise in morning or afternoon, with tasting of seafood from the region, the green lipped mussels which are only found and farmed in the Marlborough Sounds and this is paired with a taste of the famous Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc
- Half day cruise of the Marlborough Sounds and take in the magnificent scenery plus a wine tour in the morning where you will visit 2-3 wineries to experience some of the exceptional wines of the region.
- Mail boat: Come along on the Mail Boat Cruise and share the excitement of Mail Day as the skipper delivers the New Zealand Rural post bags, groceries and freight to the residents that call the Queen Charlotte Sound waterways home
- Water taxis (rented by hour)
Marlborough Sounds - Sailing/Cruises – Private: (from $600)
The Marlborough Sounds are a network of submerged mountain valleys, numerous Islands and tranquil sheltered bays, bush-clad hills and almost 1500 km of deep-water coastline to explore, it is a cruising paradise.
Launches are a great way to get out into the Sounds quickly allowing you more time to tie up, sit back, relax and enjoy the company of your friends and family or head out fishing, diving, or if a more leisurely pace is your style then sailing the waterways is excellent with a multitude of coves and bays to moor.
Whether its half or full day boating experience we have several options to choose from
- Private charter of Sailing Yacht Beneteau 54ft with crew and catering for a full day or overnight.
- Private half day skippered sailing on 42ft Beviamo
- Katabatic Charters (Motor Boat,14m), half day, full day, fishing, diving, or sightseeing, also overnight charters, catering available
Combination Helicopter/Cruise/Fishing (POA)
- Helicopter sightseeing flight over the Marlborough Sounds landing at Ship Cove (Captain Cooks first interaction with Maori in 1770 took place here) enjoy a picnic lunch at a secluded location and then return by water taxi stopping at the predator free Motuara Island Native Bird Sanctuary, where you will be guided by a conservationist, who will provide details on the native NZ birds, penguins, flora on the island and details on the abundant marine life that inhabit the waterways of the area such as Dolphins which you are likely to see on your return to Picton, Fur Seals, Gannets and other sea birds.
- Departing from the gardens of the Lodge your luxury helicopter sightseeing tour of the magnificent Marlborough Sounds will take you over the many waters and rugged native bush clad hills that run down to the water’s edge. This remote area at the top of the South Island is predominantly uninhabited and its ever changing and rugged landscape make it quite spectacular. Landing on D’Urville Island (discovered in 1827 by French explorer which it is named after it is home to just 52 residents on its 150 sq klm expanse). This outer island of the Marlborough Sounds is where you get to try your luck at catching some of the local blue cod, we give a 99% chance of success of doing so and will not doubt have you reeling them in after just a few minutes! You will then be hosted to a casual BBQ lunch, which will include your freshly caught Blue Cod, seasonal salads and of course a glass of Marlborough wine. There will be time to relax and take in this remote beautiful location prior to boarding your helicopter. The return flight will take you over waterways, the Richmond Ranges and into the Wairau plans where you will see the extent of New Zealand’s largest wine growing region of NZ as you fly over the vast expanse of vineyards before landing back in the secluded gardens of the Marlborough Lodge
The possibilities are endless so if you have a specific request let us know and we will make it happen